Everything we know about the A1 (M) Durham crash yesterday


The northbound A1 (M) was closed for eight hours yesterday (January 10) – resulting in a five mile recoil after a severe collision on Highway A that resulted in three people being rushed to hospital .

After occurring at 7.20 a.m. between junctions 62 (Carville) and 63 (Chester-le-Street), the collision of three cars blocked the road, as emergency services investigated the factors behind of the accident.

In the aftermath of the incident and the shutdown, emergency services issued statements and appeals.

Read more: How to Subscribe to The Northern Echo FREE in January

Here’s what we know so far:

Police are asking for information following the serious collision on the A1 (M) – involving a blue VW Touran, a white Fiat 500 and a black Renault Captur.

Two people were taken to North Durham University Hospital, while a motorist was taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle with serious injuries.

The accident was attended by police vehicles, four fire trucks, two ambulances and two units of the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART).

Officers investigating the accident are keen to speak with anyone who may have witnessed the collision or with dashcam footage of the incident to come up.

The A1 (M) Northbound was closed for eight hours yesterday.

Anyone with information is urged to contact PC Paul Oliver of the Traffic Police Unit on 101 citing incident number 43 of January 10.

A spokesperson for the North East Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 7:21 am to report a road collision between several vehicles on the A690 / A1 northbound around Durham Region.

“We dispatched two ambulance teams and two teams from our Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) and transported two patients to North Durham University Hospital and one patient was transported to the Royal Victoria Infirmary.

A spokesperson for the County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Services added: “Three aircraft from Durham, High Handenhold and Durham’s Target Response Vehicle (TRV) witnessed the incident and secure vehicles. Firefighters left the scene at 8:39 a.m.

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our County Durham Facebook page for all the latest news from the region by clicking on here.

For all the most important updates from across the region delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our newsletter here.

Do you have a story for us? Contact our press office on newsdesk@nne.co.uk or contact 01325 505054


Comments are closed.