But first, today’s weather:
A little rain and a thunderstorm. High: 75 Low: 51.
📢 I am looking for business owners and marketers in Raleigh who want to get noticed, connect with customers and increase sales.
I have a limited number of sponsorships available to introduce our Raleigh Daily readers to local businesses they need to know. If this is you, then I urge you to learn more and secure your place now.
Here are the top stories in Raleigh today:
- Cary High School entered a code red lockdown Wednesday morning after reports of gunfire around 11:38 a.m... Cary Police confirmed a single bullet was fired into a school toilet and damaged a toilet. The school’s resource manager responded and called for backup, and police believe only one student was involved in the incident. The lockdown remained in effect while the student was questioned, but was lifted around 2 p.m. (abc11, CBS17, WRAL)
- The Wake County Health Department reviewed and inspected food vendors participating in the fair. County officials say inspection failure is very rare, especially since many vendors have attended the fair in previous years. The 150 vendors will be vetted to ensure food is stored at safe temperatures, with proper washing stations, sanitary food preparation and disposal. (abc11, CBS17) Check out this State Fair TLDR courtesy of abc11.
- Metro Raleigh ranked 8th in second annual Tech Innovation Index. Last year, Raleigh ranked 7th, with demand for tech workers influencing the decline the most. Raleigh ranked second in the nation for innovation and 6th for the supply of tech workers. Durham was also ranked No. 6 for the second consecutive year and Charlotte came in at No. 28. (WRAL Tech Wire)
- A Raleigh family is asking for the community’s help in locating Sterlena Bland, 46, who has been missing since last month. Bland suffered lingering effects after catching COVID-19, including a “cloudy mind” that appeared to be getting worse. Sometime after September 23, she disappeared. Raleigh police are investigating the case, but she and her family are asking anyone who has seen her or her burgundy Ford to come forward. The nature of his disappearance is still unknown. (WRAL)
- Tomorrow, October 14 is the official deadline for voter registration. You can register to vote online through the DMV website, by mail/email/fax, or by visiting any Wake County Public Library before 5 p.m. If you miss the deadline, one-stop early voting begins October 20 and ends November 5. If you need an absentee ballot, the last day to request one is November 1, by submitting a request online or sending a form to the Wake County Board of Elections. (INDY Week)
- Triangle Area Office Building Association Holds Fifth Annual “Battle of the Broker Bands” today to raise funds for Neighbor to Neighbor and Haven House. A Neighbor to Neighbor spokesperson said the nonprofit plans to use funds to support its college mentorship program which currently serves 125 students. The CEO of Haven House says proceeds raised will provide much-needed operational support for their 11 homeless youth programs. (WRAL)
From our sponsor, Wise Bread:
The best hassle-free travel cards offer the highest rewards, no annual or foreign transaction fees, and a $250 travel bonus offer. A longtime credit card author says these are some of the best deals he has seen in his years of writing for top financial websites. Start turning your travel dreams into reality. Click here for more details.
Today in Raleigh:
Friday in Raleigh:
From my notebook:
- This is Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Dayand with the availability of obtaining a free mammograms in Raleigh, there’s no excuse not to get checked.
- Discover the incredible productions to see this month. (INDY Week)
- The NC State GLBT Center hosted the university‘s second annual Pride March on October 3, to kick off LGBTQ+ History Month. (North Carolina State University Facebook)
- Cloud brewing recently released its The People wheat beera collaboration with Wake County LWV, with $1 from each box sold going to the League of Women Voters. (Downtown Raleigh Instagram)
- If your school, cause or organization would like partner of Groucho’s Deli at a party or event % you can apply via this link. (Groucho’s Deli Instagram)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
You are now in the loop and ready to start this Thursday! I’ll join you early tomorrow morning with your next update.
— CJ Fullford
Got a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Raleigh Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org